Saturday, November 21, 2009

Wednesday 4:10PM

Our first and hopefully last emergency room visit. Our new little walker slipped on a puzzle and came tumbling down with his lip landing on the corner of a hard plastic toy. There was a lot of blood which immediately sent me into life safe mode. At which point everything gets blurry. While I held Zackary, Ben, my sister and my mom helped us get ready for the er room. We waited about 15 minutes when we got there which seemed like an hour to be triaged and then we were taken right into a hospital bed...(private room). Zackary had stopped crying on the way to the hospital and his lip stopped bleeding as well. We just weren't sure if it needed to be sutured. Our room had a tv so Ben found the PBS channel and Zackary's attention went to the cartoons for a few minutes (don't even remember what). At this point we fed him dinner which he ate every last drop and was seeming to calm down. After a short while a physicians assistant came in looked at his lip (which promptly reinstated the screaming crying) and said it pretty much needed to be stitched. We had to hold numbing cream on his lip for 12 minutes...so I held the cotton ball and held Zackary and Ben did whatever trick he could think of to divert his attention away from it. I was getting nervous because I new what was next...and I will be brief. We burrito wrapped Zackary, nurse held his face, PA put in 3 sutures, while I talked to him and Ben held him down in the wrap. On the 3rd stitch Zackary was falling asleep (or passing out)-ughs, and within 4 minutes we were done. He was sweaty...and tired. We all were. So we changed him and got home. We were gone about 2 hours...and after a quick PJ change we cuddled for awhile and then I put him to sleep. He was attached to me throughout the whole experience which was so humbiling for me.
We are still raw from it all. I know it might happen again but it won't be easier. And it's hard to hear that it might happen again...we know that...but this experience sucked as I am sure they all will. I hope his little legs are a walkin' real strong soon...so we can move on to the next worry! He's doing fine. Swollen little lip but smiling and moving along!

2 comments:

  1. I still can't believe he has stitches! Poor kid! That is funny that he was interested in what was on PBS. Collin loves Elmo's World.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are VERY familiar with stitches in the Allred house! We've had them three times and it doesn't get any easier! It's heartbreaking knowing what's coming; but that they'll be all better is comforting. Isn't motherhood wonderful?

    ReplyDelete